Senior Electrical Engineer
Nonin Overview: You can count on Nonin. Our vision is to improve people’s lives by creating noninvasive medical devices people can count on, even in challenging conditions. Nonin’s culture is grounded in our mission and vision, and our values are reflected in our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are more than words to us, they are our DNA. We aspire to advance our medical technology for the global diverse patients, customers, and communities we serve. We embrace the unique backgrounds, perspectives, and mindsets of our employees, and seek to enhance these qualities through our hiring and talent management strategies. Our employees are empowered to bring their full authentic selves to work and collaborate to build a more rewarding environment for all to work and thrive. With a career at Nonin, you can expect to work in an environment where diversity is celebrated and curiosity is rewarded. By joining Nonin, you will improve lives around the world, including your own.
Position Overview: Responsible for designing and implementing new product designs and developing sub-systems or engineering components of major projects. Assignments are broad in nature, usually requiring appreciable initiative, originality, and ingenuity. Coordinates design activities, reviews and reports design’s progress, and evaluates results.
What you will do:
As part of research team, perform one or more of the following duties as assigned by Research Manager to support the team’s goals:
- Responsible for design/development activities which may include leading, participating, or supporting:
- Concept, planning, design and execution stages
- Risk assessment
- Pilot Production
- Design reviews
- Manual creation
- Verification & Validation
- Serve as technical leader for a major development project. Responsible for ensuring that design activities are coordinated per the development procedure. Establish and maintain project schedules.
- Coordinate with design team to create and release Product Requirements, Design Specifications and Design Descriptions and Integration Guide for assigned designs applicable standards and procedures. Responsible for recording and sharing technical knowledge gained with colleagues.
- Participate in all phases of design on a singular project; investigate cost factors, and ease of manufacture. Work with all Project team members throughout the development phase of product development to ensure that product is produced in a safe and quality manner while keeping within established time frames.
- Responsible for design and development of mechanical/electromechanical systems or electrical hardware or embedded/pc-based software.
- Works on significant and unique analysis of situations or data requiring an evaluation of intangibles. Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Prepare technical reports.
- Research design options and perform experiments to determine potential design feasibility or application.
- Assess design and development activities to determine time for completion and appropriate staffing and/or use of outside resources to reach goals.
- Work with other departments within the company to optimize production, diagnostics, and repair activities.
- Review product documentation for accuracy including documentation intended for customer use.
- Evaluate product non-conformances and recommend design modifications.
- Evaluate, test, and review designs to determine if program will perform according to requirements and specifications.
- Develop, communicate and document project strategies and plans.
- Maintain accurate records throughout the development process to comply with company and government standards and/or regulations.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Engineering Technology or equivalent technical degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 7+ years related engineering experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong Computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet)
- Familiarity with essential requirements of the Medical Devices Directive (MDD).
- Software: Experience with assembly-level and C code development, real time signal processing, and I/O control.
- Electrical: Experience with Altium
- Mechanical: Experience with Pro-E and AutoCAD.
- Self-Starter; Highly-Organized; Detail-Oriented; Highly-Motivated; Team Player; Analytical; Strong Interpersonal & Verbal/Written Communication;
- Customer-Focused; Results-Driven; Initiative; “Can-Do” Attitude
- Strong background in development of microprocessor-controlled hardware.
- Experience with low noise analog circuitry
- Experience developing products that are components of a customer’s system
- Experience with Near Infrared Spectroscopy
- Software development experience in an embedded environment for medical devices.
- Experience with Medical Device Directive (MDD), ISO 13485, FDA design controls or similar regulatory environment.
- Demonstrated experience in successful project management.
- Ability to sit, and/or stand for 8 hrs/day.
- Ability to travel
- 401(k) & 401(k) matching
- Medical, Dental & Vision insurance, including flexible spending and health savings accounts
- Profit sharing
- Disability insurance
- Accident & Critical Illness Insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Bereavement leave
- Employee referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
Nonin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status, among other factors.